Monday, October 18, 2010

Salem Adventure & The Landing Restaurant

Sorry I've been on a little hiatus. Saturday we went to Salem, MA because even though I've lived in New England my whole life I have never been there, nevermind been there in October for all the spooky Halloween festivities. However, it was a huge and extreme bust! We got there and it was mobbed, we drove around for an hour and a half and NEVER found a parking spot! I saw so many cool shops and activites that I wanted to visit but was unable to. So the plan is to definitely go back someday but NOT IN OCTOBER!

Picture taken through the car window while driving by in Salem.

The trip's saving grace was that we were starving and needed to find food somewhere nearby before making the hour and a half trek home. We ended up in Marblehead and the Baby's Daddy pulled into a parking lot at a random place to turn around. I saw a sign for dining at a pub next to the ocean. He exclaimed, "We are not bringing a baby into a bar!" But I insisted that it said 'Dining' and would be fine. Upon entering we were quite surprised to find a nice restaurant!

We asked the hostess to seat us at a booth since we had the baby in his carseat with us and she graciously obliged. We ended up in a cozy nook next to the window right next to the fantastic ocean view of mansions and sailboats. The low ceilings and dark exterior makes one feel as if they have stepped into the galley of an ancient sailboat. A waiter came by to light the small oil lit candle on our table, and baby V rested peacefully beside me in my booth seat. We both ordered clam chowder to start and after the first bite glanced up at each other and smiled in delicious approval. This was good!

I didn't have to look at the menu long before deciding on Lobster Mac 'N Cheese. I have only had it once made by mother on Christmas day and it was wonderful but I don't trust that the lobster will be fresh enough at many restaurants. Here, with a small dock bobbing on the water right next to me, I figured it was safe to bet the lobster would be fresh. Baby's Daddy ordered Cajun Blackened Swordfish with rice pilaf and a pineapple salsa.

Needless to say, both our meals were delicious. My Mac 'N Cheese came out piping hot and bubbly. The gooey, cheesiness was hidden beneath a herb-infused breadcrumb crust. Large chunks of lobster were studded throughout, including 3 whole luscious claws. The swordfish was perfectly cooked and tasted amazing when paired with the pineapple salsa that was mixed with strawberries.

Have I forgotten to mention the name of this fabulous restaurant; The Landing, found in Marblehead, MA, certainly a gem, though maybe not so hidden. My only regret is that we could not try more of the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails