Monday, September 20, 2010

Sugar Cane


We went to our local farmer's market on Saturday morning. It is my favorite part of the week. We are lucky enough to live near the ocean and our farmer's market features shellfish, scallops, lobster, and cod loins. Every Saturday we enjoy some kind of shellfish lunch or dinner and I have developed quite a taste for mussels, oysters, and littlenecks! However, my other favorite part of this day is finding new, fresh, and interesting things to cook with! My mouth waters over the golden beets, bags of arugula, fresh baked bread, apples, squash, huge bunches of fresh herbs, and juicy heirloom tomatoes.

On this particular day though, I came across a new ingredient. In a big tub at the end of a booth was a bunch of sticks that looked like bamboo. SUGAR CANE 10 for $1.00 the sign read! Naturally, we had to get ten and see what we could do with them when we got home. Although they are pretty to look at, I was disappointed to find out there is not much the average person can do with sugar cane. Most people, it seems from my online research, just peel it and suck out the sweet juices. I did find this website, which has a recipe for making alcohol with it and using it as skewers for shrimp. Does anyone else know any other uses for this? I think for now we will just enjoy sucking out the sugary liquid but it was still a neat find!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails